As mothers we are always concerned that our children get the best possible , most nutritious diet . We all include fruits, vegetables, mix of cereals and pulses in their diets as much as we can , but one all round wondrous addition in our kids diet can be RAGI.
Finger millet or Ragi is one of the healthiest grains available and has various health benefits for kids as well as adults. Some of these are :
- Very good source of calcium and thus, great for bones. Ragi is a very good non dairy source of calcium which is essential for the bones of a growing baby. Calcium is also important for the growth and maintenance of teeth.
- It fights anemia.Ragi has high levels of natural iron, which work wonders for increasing low levels of haemoglobin.Helps in absorption of iron
- Ragi has high levels of Vitamin C which can be further enhanced by sprouting. And Vitamin C is essential for absorption of iron.Helps in muscle formation
- Ragi is high in protein , which helps in muscle formation and growth of the baby.
- Gets digested quickly and prevents constipationRagi has a low fat content and a high fiber content , and gets digested quickly in the stomach. It promotes healthy bowel movement and thus prevents constipation.
- Easy for mothers to useRagi is a versatile ingredient and can be used in porridge, khichdi, parathas, laddoos, halwa etc. Also it is easy to cook and very affordable.
My favorite ragi recipe:
- Ragi flour 1/2 cup
- Wheat flour 1/2 cup
- Sugar or jaggery 1/2 cup
- Butter 100 gms
- Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
- Milk 2 tbsp
Sift the ragi flour, wheat flour and baking powder together.
Add the butter to this mixture and mix with your hand, till the texture becomes crumbly.
Add sugar or jaggery and mix well.
Add 2tbsp milk to make the dough soft, not too much that it becomes runny.
Keep this dough in the refrigerator for half an hour. After taking it out make small rounds from this dough and then flatten them out.
Pre heat the oven at 180 degrees , and then bake for 15-20 minutes approximately.
Cool them and store them in an airtight container.
Share your favorite recipes , and try this easy and nutritious recipe for your kids.